Bournemouth 5-2 Millwall: a Review


The Goldsands stadium continued to be a source of goals and excitement over the weekend, with Bournemouth overcoming the challenge of Millwall.

At the start of the game, the Cherries defence continued to leak, and two early goals from Liam Trotter and Martyn Waghorn gave the Lions a 2-0 lead. This meant that an impressive start was undone by sloppy clearances and poor passing, which led to the goals.

Bournemouth found a goal just before half time, when Ryan Fraser curled the ball into the bottom corner from just outside the box. The diminutive Scot was once again impressive, and has been a shining light since the beginning of the Season.

Just after the break, Steve Cook cushioned a header into the back of the net from a corner, before the influential Ian Harte struck the bar from a free-kick. Harry Arter then atoned for his mistake that led to a Millwall goal by volleying home from the edge of the 'D'.

The flurry of goals continued as Bournemouth were awarded a Penalty when Alan Dunne was adjudged to have handled in the box, and was sent off in the process. Lewis Grabban then stepped up and slotted the ball past David Forde, and went on to celebrate near the supporters of his former club.

It was at this moment when the major talking point of the game occurred. Whilst the players were celebrating, a coin from the Millwall end was hurled at the group and struck Steve Cook above the eye. As the player has stated himself, if the coin was a few centimetres lower it could have ended his career. This behaviour is despicable and puts many off the game, so must be stamped out.

Bournemouth sustained the pressure put on Millwall throughout the second half, and in stoppage time, they were rewarded once again. Fraser's powerful run into the box saw him tripped and Bournemouth were awarded another penalty. This time Brett Pitman stepped up and put the ball in the same corner as Lewis Grabban, increasing the margin of victory.

Bournemouth secured their first win in four games on Saturday, and will go into the international break with confidence. They have stuck to their passing game since making the step up to the Championship and have not struggled to score goals. Their main issue is getting the ball out of defence quick enough to stop a second wave of attack from the opposition.

Overall, Bournemouth put on an impressive 80 minute display, but lacked concentration for the full game, which in future could damage their position in the League.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.