Daily Football News Round-Up Friday 31st May

Liverpool expect star striker Luis Suarez to honour his contract despite his admission that he wants to leave the club. The Uruguayan blamed the press saying: “I couldn’t go to my garden or the supermarket. I couldn’t do anything. I know it is normal to be followed by the press but it was too much.”

 

Manchester City are set to name Roberto Mancini’s replacement in the ‘next two weeks’ with Manuel Pellegrini still favourite to take the role. Many believed a deal to be done when Pellegrini announced he will leave Malaga at the end of the season but both deny anything has been agreed.

 

Wolves have announced the appointment of Kenny Jackett as their new manager today. Jackett stepped down from his post at Millwall earlier this month after almost six years at the club.

 

Monaco have officially announced that Radamel Falcao has joined the club today on a five year deal. The fee is believed to be around £35 million and the Columbian is expected to earn a tax-free £10 million a year.

 

England’s game against Brazil will be going ahead this weekend despite safety concerns over the Maracana Stadium. Brazilian officials said that ALL safety requirements have fulfilled.

 

Jermain Defoe has said he hopes to reach the 20-goal mark for England in the glamour tie. He would become only the 21st player to reach the landmark tally for England.

 

FA director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking has called on Premier League clubs to make greater investment in youth coaching. The comments come after Rio Ferdinand said that young players are ‘technically backwards’ compared to their foreign counterparts.

 

Damien Delaney believes Crystal Palace can survive in the Premier League without big spending in the summer. He said: “People are going to say we are going to need to sign players, but team spirit will take you a hell of a long way.”

 

Victor Valdes has surprised many of us by announcing he will actually see out his contract at Barcelona, which means he will spend one for season with the Catalan giants.

 

Eliaquim Mangala has admitted he is flattered by rumours linking him with a move to Chelsea next season but did say he is happy at Porto if a move weren’t to happen.

 

 

Leave a Reply