Les Ferdinand says he has turned down the chance to be interviewed for the technical director position at the Football Association.
The 51-year-old, currently director of football at QPR, was reported to be on a four-person shortlist drawn up to be Dan Ashworth's successor for when he leaves the job in the spring.
And, speaking at a QPR fan forum on Thursday night, Ferdinand - who won 17 England caps as a striker - said while he had been approached, he was staying at Loftus Road.
"I spoke to them but it wasn't time for me to leave this football club, I am happy to stay," he said.
Ferdinand has overseen an upturn in QPR's fortunes after financial troubles in the wake of their relegation from the Premier League, and has put together - along with former England boss Steve McClaren - a side challenging for the Championship play-offs.
"To be honest, they (FA) contacted the club and asked to speak to me...it's the national team," Ferdinand added.
"I did speak to the FA and I made my views clear to them. I was flattered they wanted to speak to me because sometimes you read reports and they make you feel like you're not doing a good job. But they've recognised what we've done at this football club."
Chief executive Lee Hoos added he viewed the approach as a compliment.
"The way we view it, we are flattered and honoured that they looked at this club," he said.
"This is the national team, the fact that the FA is looking at people who work here shows we have people doing the right thing."
Source: Football Webpages